Monday 15 April 2019

Game of Thrones Season 8 | My Thoughts & Predictions

Hey guys! For the last few days, I haven't been able to stop breaking into randomly humming the Game of Thrones theme tune at all hours of the day so I think that's enough confirmation of just how excited I am for the last season of my favourite TV show! I'm currently avoiding social media because the web is dark and full of spoilers! Fans (and non-fans alike) will know that GoT airs on Sunday night, and will be trending on every platform right now! Here in the UK, it doesn't air on Sky Atlantic until Monday night and although I could probably find a stream online, I like to watch it with my dad on TV :) Anyhow, since I can't stop thinking about the franchise and the fact that this is it (well, other than the rumoured spin-off's), I thought I'd write down my predictions and hopes for my favourite and most despised characters, #forthethrone. I'll probably state a lot of things that my fellow fan are already thinking, but if you have any other theories (or even if you share mine), I would love to hear all about them in the comments. 

I cannot wait for tonight!! However, I am nervous af for what's to come over the next few weeks T_T Oh, and just a little disclaimer, but I will be referring to the series of events that took place in the books as well, just a heads up in case any of you guys haven't read them yet, because there is the potential for spoilers!). I hope you enjoy reading anyhow! 


Before I get into my fandom rambling, I just wanted to mention how happy I am with how the photographs I'm going to be featuring in today's post turned out! :) If you're a regular reader of my blog, you'll likely know that one of my hobbies is toy photography, and lately I've been experimenting with creating winter scenes featuring my Game of Thrones Funko Pop figures. You can see more of my toy photography over on my dedicated Instagram. So, where to start? 

I think I'll begin with my thoughts on what everyone is talking about the most! Who is going to be sitting on the Iron Throne in the end!? My favourite characters from the series are Tyrion Lannister and Arya Stark, so naturally I would love to see Tyrion on the Iron Throne. I feel like Arya Stark is better suited to being her true ninja self, but I feel like Tyrion is such a kingly character, if that's even a real descriptive word. He's intelligent and just, and I think he will be a great ruler. There are lots of other characters though that I love and think will also be awesome as King or Queen, such as Daenerys Targaryen. She's badass and has fought so hard to establish herself a strong and worthy ruler in a world where the places of power are typically reserved for men. I would love to see her ruling in the end of course, it's just that Tyrion is my main man so I can't not hold out hope that he will get to reach his full potential. 

With the way that the show is going though, like everyone else, I have my predictions of how things are going to go down, but with George R.R. Martin, the author of the original book series that inspired this amazing show, The Song of Ice and Fire novels, overseeing the production of the show, you never know if things are going to go in favour of the most beloved characters or if they are going to be torn from us in the most ruthless of circumstances! I am excited for the drama but also scared for my sanity and heart :') But yeah, I feel like with the way things are playing out on screen, we might see Jon Snow, who with regards to the traditional line of succession, once he knows his true identity might want to sit on the Iron Throne, even though I feel like the Jon we know and love would much rather not be a ruler. 

That being said, I think that there's a good chance of Jon Targaryen being the one sitting on the Iron Throne in the end, maybe with Queen Daenerys by his side, although who knows what will happen with their blossoming romance when they realise that they are really Auntie and Nephew. I am wondering if they are going to part ways and if Daenerys will go back over the sea to Essos to be ruler over the cities she liberated, and Jon will stay in Westeros. But Targaryen's aside, I think that Sansa is going to stay where she is and become Queen of the North! What do you guys think? 

I'm not sure why, but throughout the story when it comes to the development of Lord Varys, I have always had this feeling that he would, in a surprising turn of events, somehow end up as ruler of the Iron Throne, or at least Hand of the King or something... I don't know, I'd just like to think that he is going far, and Game of Thrones is a series that likes to shock us all! Are there any characters that you think no one suspects of ending up in high places, that will get there whilst everyone is focused on the 'top dogs'? 


Other than the fight for the throne, there are lots of things that I find myself puzzling over constantly! I have avoided watching the trailer for Season 8 because I don't want to go in to this last season with any idea of how things are going to go down. So one of the main themes of the questions on my mind is what is going to happen to Tormund Giantsbane! He's gorgeous and hilarious and I love him, and if anything has happened to him, I am going to riot!! :D Who's with me? I think it would be absolutely fantastic if he is asked by Jon to be his Hand, if he ends up on the throne. 

Are you on Team Brienne & Tormund, or Brienne & Jaime Lannister? I know it would be lovely for Tormund to win the heart of the beauty waiting for him back at Winterfell and because of how much I like his character, I cannot help routing for that outcome. But when it comes to Jaime and Brienne, there was definitely something special there. You could really feel this in the books, and even though the show gave us inklings of the connection and tension between them, it didn't do it in the way that the books did, which makes me think that David Benioff and D.B. Weiss have something else in mind (sorry Brienne & Jaime shippers)! 

Okay, so dragons!! What about the dragons!? They are undoubtedly one of the most amazing aspects of franchise and after the tragedy that befell Viserion last season, it has made us all a little scared about what the future has in store for Drogon & Rhaegal. We are all suspecting a battle of the dragons, and it's going to be hard to watch brother fight brother, and for Daenerys to have to face all of this. I have been surmising that Brandon's status as the Three-eyed Raven will come into play, and he may be able to somehow control Viserion... I don't know, but I want to see that! I am also waiting for the moment when Jon will ride on the dragon that is named after his true father. Rhaegal has been my favourite dragon from the start, not gonna lie at first this was mostly because he was green and bronze and green is my favourite colour haha, but I'm hoping that nothing bad happens to him! 

Something that we all expect from Game of Thrones is that fan-favourites and main characters will be killed! It happened with Sansa's Direwolf, Lady, and with so many of the Starks, and I'm assuming that it's only a matter of time before it happens again :'( I have a heart-breaking feeling that Jon might not survive! I am hoping he will because he was revived from the dead for a reason, but maybe that reason will be fulfilled by him and afterwards he may not survive. It will suck because he's a fantastic character, however with him being the 'rightful' heir to the Seven Kingdoms, Daenerys cannot take the Iron Throne like she wanted unless she rules along with him. This will be the perfect outcome for all of you Dany and Jon shippers, but we all know that Game of Thrones can be merciless and I feel like they won't get a happy ending, but who knows? 

*warning: spoiler territory* Daenerys and Jon got it on last season, and although the show has seemingly made it clear that Dany cannot have children after what happened with the blood magic, I feel like the writers/producers made a decision to not include a scene from the books that gave fans hope that this might not be the case, maybe to add to the shock factor if things go the way I am thinking they will. In the books, after Drogon came to the rescue for Dany when the Sons of the Harpy ambushed the fighting pits, and she was carried off to the place where the Dothraki would come across her, she was wandering for a long time through the grasslands trying to get back to Meereen, and during this time, if I remember correctly, she experienced somewhat of a period, which suggested that maybe everything wasn't as it seemed, and that there might be hope that she was healing. This is making me curious about whether Jon and Daenerys will have a child! We will see!


I'm going to stop rambling now even though I have so much more to say, because this post is long enough as it is! Thankyou if you've read it all the way to the end :D Let me know if you would like more Game of Thrones content in the future, as I really enjoyed nerding out for you all! Another thing that I have to say briefly because I feel like it deserves a mention... I hope that Arya is the one to kill Cersei in the end, because we all know we cannot wait for that scene XD And so, I will conclude today's post here. I am so looking forward to tonight's episode!! 


Thankyou for reading! 
Valar morghulis! 



Who is your favourite Game of Thrones character?

If you've read the books, 
what was something that you wish the show would have included?


Here are my social media links:
Share:

1 comment

  1. I'm so excited for this final season it's been such a huge part of my life, luckily it airs here Monday morning so I can start my day (and my week) without spoilers haha! This time I'm trying to stay away from predicting what's going to happen and giving myself expectations and just enjoying the ride, it's been one hell of a journey & I can't wait to see how it turns out xoxo

    Cateaclysmic

    ReplyDelete

Blog Design Created by pipdig