Wednesday 18 November 2015

Homemade Fudge | Baking

Hey guys! Over the past week, I've found it quite difficult to stick to my blogging schedule. I completed my Saturday post on Sunday and today I'm writing up the post I had planned for yesterday. I've been feeling tired and under the weather, and my motivation to get stuff done is almost non-existent. I've had a lot on my mind lately so my organisation has been all over the place... I've just bought myself a lovely new weekly planner to help keep me more focused and hopefully that will get me back on track soon. I've been wanting to do this blog post for a while now but I was gathering up all the ingredients needed for the homemade fudge, and yesterday I was finally able to make it! Yayy! I hope you enjoy reading :) 


Last year, I watched a video on facebook created by about.com that was a step-by-step guide on how to make easy microwave fudge and I've had it bookmarked ever since. Although it was quick & easy to make, it did require more chocolate chips than I expected and the measurement for the chocolate chips was a little confusing since it is an American recipe and they have a different way of measuring ingredients using different metric units and such. Luckily, a quick google search sorted that out. Here's the video so you can have a go at making the fudge yourself: 


Here is a list of the ingredients you will need to make the fudge, and I've added the measurements I used to make it easier for us British baking enthusiasts (or just me).


3 cups of chocolate chips
(1 cup is equivalent to 175g so you'll need 525g. You can get big bags of choc chips but I could only find 100g bags so I had to buy 6)

A 14oz can of condensed milk 
(I found a 397g can which is pretty much 14oz)

4 tablespoons of butter
(4 tablespoons is equivalent to 60g and I had to use margarine because we'd ran out of butter, oops)

1 teaspoon of vanilla essence 

A quarter of a teaspoon of salt

You'll also need a large microwave-safe bowl, a glass or ceramic pyrex-style dish to set the fudge in, foil to line the dish with and a good sharp knife to cut the fudge up after it's set. 
This part was difficult for me because all my good knifes are packed away with the rest of my stuff from uni and I couldn't find a good knife so it took me a while to cut the fudge into pieces! 



I ended up leaving my fudge in the fridge overnight because when I took it out after 3 hours, it was still sticky so I cut it up into cubes and put it back in to set some more. This morning, it was perfect and ready to eat. Although the fudge is different than British traditional vanilla dairy fudge, it's very yummy & tastes like the chocolate fudge cream made for cakes. It has a soft, creamy texture. I think it would be a nice homemade Christmas present for a friend or family member. The recipe also makes a lot of fudge! 


I'm very happy with how the fudge turned out :) Thanks for reading!


Does anyone know a good recipe for traditional vanilla fudge? 

Let me know if any of you have a go at making this quick microwave fudge.


Share:

1 comment

  1. I defo Will try this! Looks scrumptious. Love getting fudge, had a lush bubblegum one on hols

    Stacey xxx UnicornFairy.net

    ReplyDelete

Blog Design Created by pipdig