Thursday 22 June 2017

#30DaysWild | Week 3

Happy Thursday! I hope you've all had wonderful days. Although still very warm, the weather has been a lot easier to cope with in Lancashire today. I'm hoping tonight is the same, because it has been so so difficult for me to get to sleep lately. I'd love a decent night's rest tonight! Yesterday, I went out for my first day trip in a long while, to Blackpool with my mom. I planned the journey around going to the Build A Bear Workshop, to get the 4th Pokemon plushie that the store have released. My new Squirtle plushie is really awesome! I had a very nice, albeit very tiring, day; it was great fun relaxing by the beach and browsing in some of the seaside touristy shops. It was also cool to spend the first day of Summer on the coast! There's no Disney store in my hometown either, so of course I went in there too! I'd love to go back again soon :) Today's post is another about the Wildlife Trust's 30 Days Wild Challenge, which hit the three week marker yesterday! I cannot believe how fast this month has flown by. I hope you enjoy looking at the photographs that document what wild things I've been doing for the last seven days! 

30 Days Wild Challenge




 Aww, I love how the Day 15 logo has starfish on it... that's so cute! After struggling to sleep on Wednesday night, I spent most of Day 15 sleeping or lounging around. It was Nature Photography Day so I was a little gutted that I wasn't able to go out anywhere teeming with wildlife to get some photographs. I did however enjoy browsing through photographs I've taken in the past :) I decided to go out into the garden after dark to see which creatures were out and about. There were lots of insects! 


30 Days Wild Challenge


30 Days Wild Challenge
I absolutely love snails!

30 Days Wild Challenge
It looks like I caught this slug and woodlouse having a conversation, haha :)



30 Days Wild Challenge


Last Friday, I planted some wild flower seeds in two different locations in my garden. I am so looking forward to them growing, because I think wild flower species are so beautiful and remind me of meadows. They also attract more bees and butterflies so I can't wait for that :) I didn't use the whole box of seeds, since I'm going to also plant some when I'm out and about. Talking of flowers, what's everyones favourite? Mine are bluebells and sweet peas!


30 Days Wild Challenge



Since the weather was wonderful on Saturday, I spent quite a few hours outside relaxing on the grass and watching my nephews playing with Aurora the puppy :) I decided to do some colouring in one of my pretty animal colouring books by Millie Marotta and ended up just daydreaming and colouring away for hours! haha I made up some sugar water solution and put it out for the bees and butterflies, so that they could stay hydrated whilst exploring our flowers, many of which are starting to bloom now. I'm really looking forward to our lilies opening! 

30 Days Wild Challenge

30 Days Wild Challenge

30 Days Wild Challenge
Here's the little plate I made up for the insects. The sugar water is poured onto the kitchen roll so that the butterflies and bees won't drown whilst they are trying to drink. I was saving an over-ripe banana to put on the plate too since I know butterflies are a huge fan, but my mom didn't know and so threw it out. Oops. I had a nectarine for breakfast so I decided to share it :)


30 Days Wild Challenge



Sunday was another gorgeous day weather-wise, although I am definitely not a huge fan of the heat so I hid in the shade for most of the day. I decided to search the 30 Days Wild app for an ideas on how to spend my day and I ended up choosing to read about nature in the garden. I have quite a few wildlife books but unfortunately they are all packed away in boxes with the rest of my things from when I came home from university and I won't be getting them out until I have my own bedroom, which looks like it's going to happening within the next few months. Yay! Instead, I decided to read about moths and butterflies on my phone whilst relaxing out of the sun under our Apple Blossom tree. I found out a lot of interesting techniques for attracting moths that I'm definitely going to have a go at myself very soon.

30 Days Wild Challenge


30 Days Wild Challenge

30 Days Wild Challenge
The birds have made such a mess under the fat ball feeder!



I was inspired by the prompt from the Wildlife Trust's app to go in search for an insect to observe it's behaviour and try to ID the species. I found a lot of insects that I was already very familar with but then I started lifting up rocks and other things in my garden to see what creatures inhabited the space underneath. Another of the prompts on the app is 'lift a log' and since there's no logs laying around my garden, I improvised and lifted up a small chunk of wood at the bottom of my garden. I came across some really really tiny lice/beetles, some woodlice and then a baby millipede! It was too small for me to ID but it was cool to hold it and watch it crawling across my hands with all those legs! I of course put the little guy back where I found him afterwards. These are the only photos I managed to take...


30 Days Wild Challenge


30 Days Wild Challenge


This Tuesday was another 'lazy' day for me. Being the introverted ball of anxiety that I am, Sunday always zaps all of my energy because of all of the social interaction that I have to do when my family are over. My insomnia combined with the sauna that is my bedroom at night made it so that sleep was almost impossible. I was up watching Netflix until ridiculous o'clock! In the evening, I sat outside with a nice cup of tea enjoying the sun with my parents and some of my bunnies a good cuddle :) I had a blog post to write notes for so I decided to put my little lionhead X rex rabbit out in the run and lay on the grass nearby dotting down ideas and watching him 'binking' around in excitement. I almost fell asleep on the grass though! Something that I really like about this season is that my grey rabbits fur lightens and they get patches of browny beige throughout their coats. It think it looks lovely.


30 Days Wild Challenge


30 Days Wild Challenge
My beautiful boy, Jacob :)
30 Days Wild Challenge
'Oi, why are you taking photos of me?'

I spent the final day of Week 3 over in Blackpool on the North West coast. It was a fabulous day out and I thoroughly enjoyed walking along the beach, although I didn't spend as much time on it as I would have liked. I saw lots of young and old Herring Gulls, who wouldn't leave me alone when I sat down to eat my lunch on the seafront. The place were we ended up sitting was next to a patch of glass and I soon discovered that it was home to ALL OF THE LADYBIRDS! I've never seen so many ladybirds in one place at the same time. It was amazing! I embraced my inner weird bug lady and had a great time handling the beetles, letting them crawl up to the tips of my fingers and watching them open their wings to fly off. What a great way to end the week :) Just a few more days to go now!

30 Days Wild Challenge
 
30 Days Wild Challenge


30 Days Wild Challenge
Can't go to Blackpool and not take a photograph of the Tower :)
30 Days Wild Challenge
It was a challenge in itself to take a photo of the ladybird since they didn't stay still for long!

I had a great week, even though other than my trip to Blackpool, it was a very relaxed and uneventful seven days. The heat made it very difficult to get much done, especially since it makes my fibromyalgia flare up! I really appreciate all of the little wild moments I experienced and I can't wait to document the final week of the challenge :) Check back next Thursday for the next #30DaysWild post. 

Thankyou for reading!


Have you spotted any wildlife this week or done anything in an area surrounded by nature? I'd love to hear all about it in the comments.


Check out my two previous 30 Days Wild posts:
| Week 1 & Week 2 |  
 
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Design Created by pipdig